Monday, February 2, 2015

Cobblestone Batik Quilt

yh1

This is Yvonne’s Cobblestone quilt by Cozy Quilt Designs and she used beautiful batiks in greens, browns and beiges.   When I was in the middle of quilting this one I discovered I had made a mistake, one that I had not made since my very first practice quilt 6 years ago!  As I was quilting across a row of a pantograph I stopped to check my stitches and noticed my row was overlapping the last row!!  Damn….my laser light moved!   Whenever I move my laser light I make sure I have it screwed down tight but I guess I didn’t this time.  Sigh!   Well at least this only happens once every 6 years.   So the next two hours was well spent ripping stitches and then I was back at it.  I was so glad I had stopped to check my stitching half way across the row or I would have taken 4 hours to pick out a whole row.   I thought I would share this story as I know there are a few new longarm quilters reading this blog and maybe this might prevent them from learning this lesson the hard way!   Check to make sure that laser light is tight and stop to check your stitches with each row you quilt.

yh2

I used the Tickle pantograph on this quilt as it went well with the theme of the outer border fabric which was coffee cups. I also used my favourite green So Fine #456 as it is a bit lighter than the green in the sashing so you can see it across all the quilt.

yh3

Yvonne purchase Stonehenge backing from me for this quilt and it is nice to see the bolds that I purchased getting smaller.

yh4

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love it!!! the colors and your quilting pattern are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt. And good advice too, I haven't had that happen yet, but I did stop to check my tension and then started quilting again, only going backwards over what I had already done! It was a very undulating panto, and I wasn't paying attention to which direction it would be going! About two hours of picking stitches also - lesson learned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those colors are gorgeous and the finish is totally elegant! Working on my Sweet 16, I have had the unfortunate experience of having the backing fold under and, w/o noticing, continued to quilt resulting in "frogging" for a while! I tell myself to "stay focused" and keep checking my stitching progress (cuts down, but sadly , doesn't eliminate such occurrences!!!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only the "oops"s didn't happen. But they do. Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom. Lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a really pretty quilt and one that 2 of my sisters would love because it is their colors. Thanks so much for the tip. It is always great to learn from others oops.

    ReplyDelete